The steady increase in the number of students driving vehicles to school and parking on-site and around the perimeter of the school has caused an increasing safety issue here at St. Bede’s. There have been numerous reports from staff, neighbours and members of the general public about the irresponsible and dangerous use of student vehicles.
To be more specific, I am referring to the following:
• Drivers on a restricted licence illegally transporting passengers
• Driving at excessive speed
• Loss of traction and acceleration at a dangerous speed
• Unwarranted/unregistered vehicles
We strongly discourage students from driving cars to school but we are aware that in some cases it is a necessity. We cannot guarantee the safety of vehicles and take no responsibility for their safety.
In order to address the problems listed above and to ensure student safety, we are initiating a new parking policy which will be strictly enforced. The policy is as follows:
1. Any student driving to school must have parental consent
2. All vehicles must have a current Registration and W.O.F.
3. Students must register with their House Tutor and submit a photocopy of their licence. If they have already registered in the past, they must re-register this year. All details will be entered on the school database.
4. Any student who is deemed to be driving irresponsibly will lose the privilege of bringing the car to school and parents/caregivers/police will be notified. There will be no warnings.
5. Vehicles may not be used while school is in session. This includes morning break and lunch. Any exception to this must be approved by the Deputy Rector.
6. There will be on-site parking for senior students in the Hockey Turf Carpark and we want students to make use of this facility. The school accepts no responsibility for vehicles parked outside the school grounds.
7. Drivers must specify any regular passengers.
Before your son drives a vehicle to school, he needs permission from the College via his House Tutor. Please download the permission form and return a signed copy.